Before Booking

Where does Host have accommodation?
We are based in university cities across the UK and Europe. To view our UK locations check out the locations page on the website.

Can I view a room before I make a booking?
To find out when we have viewings please contact the relevant management office. You can do this for Cardiff by telephoning 02922 331979, emailing or you can call in if you are passing by. An appointment will be made for you to view a standard flat and bedrooms.

Do you have summer accommodation?
We have rooms available throughout the summer months for students and non-students. Please contact us to get further information and make a booking.

Making a Booking and Terms & Conditions

How do I make a booking?
You can make an application online or you can request an application pack from us. To make an online application simply click in the online booking link on our website. This will take you through the process. If you choose to pay in instalments you will need to send us details of a UK guarantor. Host won’t confirm your booking until all information is returned to us and the initial rent payment has been made. To request an application pack you can telephone us on 02922 331979, email us at or call into the office.

Do I have to be a student to live at Host?
To take out a tenancy with us you need to be eligible for council tax exemption. This applies to all full time students and some part time students, if you are unsure your university or college should be able to advise you whether you are exempt.

Can I live with my friends?
When making your booking you can request to share with friends (provided we have room) but we cannot hold rooms for your friends, so it is up to you to make sure your friends apply at the same time.

Can two people share a room?
All of our rooms are for single occupancy only.

If I book by myself how will you allocate me a room?
We look at the room type you have requested, your year of study, gender and any other preferences you may have. Host will try to allocate you to a flat that is suitable to your situation and preferences. However, it is not always possible for us to meet your requests.

I have some requests for my room, will you guarantee them?
There is a section on your application form where you can state any preferences. Whilst we will do what we can to try to meet your requests, we cannot guarantee room type, flat type, location or the profile of the other residents in your flat.

Can I live at Host for more than one year?
Yes, it is possible for you to stay at Host throughout your studies. Bookings are taken on a first come first served basis so be sure to re-book as soon as possible.

What are the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement?
A copy of the standard Host tenancy agreement can be downloaded from this website.

Can I cancel my contract before I move in?
If you cancel your contract before the contract begins you will be subject to our cancellation terms and charges. Cancellations will only be accepted upon receipt of a completed cancellation form. Contact the Cardiff office to request a form.

Can I cancel my contract and move out early?
Your contract will be for 48 or 51 weeks and you will be liable for the full rent and unable to cancel after the 1st of August of the year the contract commences. Should you find someone who is willing to take up occupation of your room, Host will agree to release you from your contract upon receipt of their booking and you will be subject to an administration charge. Cancellations will only be accepted upon receipt of a completed ‘Request to vacate’ form. Contact the Host office to request a form.

If I move out early what will happen?
If another tenant is found to take over your tenancy Host will agree to release you from your contract. You will be required to pay an administration charge. You must vacate your room and return the keys to the management office. You will be refunded any overpaid rent after you have moved out. This refund will be calculated based on the date the new tenant takes up occupation of the room not the date you move out. Should no replacement tenant be found for your room you will be liable for the rent for the duration of your tenancy agreement.

Moving In

What do I need to bring with me on arrival?
Make sure you bring your accommodation booking confirmation with you as well as some form of ID and your student ID card. If you have been asked to bring any additional items when making your booking make sure you have them with you as you will need to produce them before your keys will be issued.

Is there somewhere to park when I am unpacking?
There are no long term car parking facilities at Host. However, there are some spaces available for loading and unloading.

Will there be someone to collect my keys from?
At the start of contract we have extended opening hours and you are advised to arrive when the office is open. However, if you arrive when the office is closed, instructions in our external noticeboard will advise you how to contact the member of staff on duty.

What happens on move in day?
You will be welcomed on arrival in our management office by a member of Host staff. We will issue you with a welcome pack which contains all the information you need to live at Host and you will be shown to your room.

What if I am not happy with my allocated room or my flatmate?
Part of the university experience is meeting people from different backgrounds, interests and cultures. We hope that you will enjoy the diversity of university life. However, should you be unhappy it is worth spending some time talking to your flatmates to try to come to some mutually agreeable solution. It is usually not possible for a room move unless an empty room is available. It is important to remember that moving to university is a stressful time and that initial teething problems are usually resolved within the first few weeks.

Will I be able to change rooms after I have arrived?
It is not usually possible to change rooms after you have arrived. All rooms are allocated on a 48 or 51 week contract and unless another resident also requests a room swap we would be unable to change your room.

Living at Host – Shand House

Can I move in before my contract starts?
Accommodation is usually available throughout the summer period so it is possible for you to move in early provided you book in advance.

What cooking equipment is provided in my flat?
All flats come with a cooker, hob, fridge and microwave provided. We do not supply toasters, kettles or any cutlery or crockery so you will need to bring your own or purchase a kitchen pack from UniKitOut prior to coming to University. Quote HOST18 to receive a 10% discount.

Can I get bedding supplied?
Bedding is not supplied here at Host Shand House, so you will need to bring your own or purchase a bedding pack from UniKitOut prior to coming to University. Quote HOST18 to receive a 10% discount.

Is there a telephone in my flat?
No, there is no telephone provided in the rooms. You can use a mobile phone or make calls via the internet using our Wi-Fi.

What Broadband packages are there?
A broadband connection is provided to every room at Host free of charge.

How do I connect to the internet?
You can connect via Wi-Fi. If you are having problems, details of the provider will be given to you on arrival or you can ask at reception.

Is a TV provided?
Flat screen TVs are provided in every bedroom and in the shared kitchens of the 6 and 4 bed flats.

What TV channels are provided?
Host has a selection of SKY TV channels including movies and sport.

Can I park on site?
There are no car parking facilities on site.

Where can I store my bike?
An external bike storage area is located in the car park area and storage is at the owners’ risk. No bikes may be stores within the flats.

Is there always a member of staff on site?
All our residences are staffed 24-hours a day, 7 days a week by trained caretakers or security guards. The management office is open Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm.

What are the opening hours of the Management Office?
The management office is open Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm.

What about security?
We provide 24-hour security with CCTV, electronic access control and a member of staff on site. Our residents also have a responsibility for ensuring the site is kept secure and are asked to ensure the accommodation remains safe by not allowing access to non-residents and reporting anything suspicious to staff immediately.

How do I report maintenance?
Maintenance should be reported to the management staff during office hours. You will be given a copy of the maintenance slip detailing the problem reported.

What happens once I have reported maintenance?
You will be given a copy of the maintenance slip that will be passed to our caretaker. The caretaker will attend to make the necessary repairs as soon as possible. Occasionally, it will not always be possible to complete the repair on the first visit and a subsequent visit may be necessary. Repairs are responded to on a priority basis, please be aware that it may not be possible to attend to your problem the same day you report it, especially at busy times of the year.

How do I report emergency maintenance overnight or at weekends?
If you have a maintenance problem that needs urgent assistance when the management office is closed you should contact the member of staff on site. The phone number is provided within your welcome information. The caretaker will respond to your problem and do whatever is possible to resolve the issue, but it may not always be possible to complete the repair out of office hours.

Where can I do my Laundry?
A laundry is provided with washers and dryers on site.

Where can I collect my post?
Post boxes containing your post are located within reception. You can collect your post from your post box at any time with the key you will be given. Parcels and recorded mail will be signed for by Host staff without liability and can be collected during office hours.

Who is responsible for cleaning my flat?
It is the resident’s own responsibility to clean their rooms and they share responsibility for the communal area of the flat. Management staff will conduct monthly inspections and you are expected to ensure that your room and flat is clean on these days. Failure to meet the required cleanliness standards will result in external cleaning contractors being brought in, the cost of which will be passed onto the resident(s). At the end of the tenancy the bedroom and flat must be returned in a good, clean condition to avoid cleaning charges, again it is the responsibility of all residents to ensure the kitchen and lounge are clean. The block stairways are regularly cleaned by Host staff.

Can I smoke at Host?
Smoking is not permitted in any area within Host –  Shand House, this includes bedrooms, stairways and external courtyard areas.

Can I decorate my room?
You are responsible for ensuring that you leave your room and flat in the same condition that is was given to you. You will be asked to complete and return an inventory to record the condition of your room upon arrival. Marks on the walls or furniture, including those caused by blu-tac, white-tac or pins will require painting once you have left and you may be charged in line with our advertised schedule of charges.

Can I have guests to stay?
Occasional overnight guests are permitted provided your flatmates agree. All overnight guests must be signed in at reception for safety, security and so that staff know who is on site in the event of an emergency. You must accompany your guests at all times whilst they are on site and you are responsible for their behaviour.

Are there any guest rooms on site that I can book?
No, Shand House does not have guest rooms.

Can my visitors park on site?
We are unable to offer any parking to your visitors. Local car parks are available and the staff can give you directions to these.

Can visitors just walk in?
Our accommodation has a coded access to ensure that only residents have access to the site. Visitors will need to contact reception or yourself to gain access. All visitors should be signed in at reception, this is for reasons of safety, security and to ensure that in the event of an emergency, management know who is on site. Visitors must be accompanied by residents at all times whilst on site.

Can I bring a pet?
No pets of any type are permitted at Host.

What if I have a complaint?
We hope that you never have any reason to be dissatisfied with the service we provide you. However, if you have any issues that you would like to bring up with us please contact a member of staff in your management office who will endeavour to resolve the problem for you.


Do I pay a deposit?
Host does not take any deposits. The payment you make upon booking is a rental payment.

What options are there for me to pay my rent by?
You can pay your rent by credit/debit card. It is also possible for payments to be made by bank transfer but you will need to make arrangements with the management office for this as usually your rent will be automatically taken from the details you provided upon booking. You can choose to pay your rent in one payment at the start of your contract if you want. Alternatively, you can choose to pay in three instalments. If you choose to pay in instalments you will need to provide a UK guarantor who is in full-time employment to support your application.

I do not live in the UK – how can I pay my rent?
If you do not live in the UK and do not have a UK guarantor, you will need to pay for your rent when you book your room. You can arrange to do this either by credit/debit card or bank transfer. Please be aware that if paying by bank transfer the bank will usually deduct charges from the amount you send us and you will need to pay the amount due before you can move in.

Do I need a Guarantor?
All UK students can choose to pay in instalments as long as they can provide a UK guarantor. If you cannot provide a guarantor you will need to pay the full year rent upon booking your accommodation.

Can I change my rent instalment plan?
Provided you let us know before your rent is due it is possible to change your installment plan as well as the method you have elected to pay by. Please give the management staff plenty of notice if you intend to do this.

Can I pay my rent with my student loan?
Our rent dates are timed to coincide with the dates you receive your student loan for your convenience should you wish to use this to pay for your accommodation.

What should I do if I am having financial problems?
If you are having financial difficulties you should contact a member of the management immediately. Failure to do so could result in interest charges being added to your account if you fail to pay on the due dates as well as legal proceedings being started against you and, where applicable, your guarantor. Management staff can usually advise you of where to go to get additional financial help which will assist you in meeting your financial obligations.

What if I change my bank account or card details?
Please notify a member of management staff immediately with any new details to ensure your rent is taken on the due date and to avoid any unnecessary charges.

Can I pay with foreign currency or travellers cheques?
Host cannot accept foreign currency or travellers cheques as payment. The safest and simplest way for international students to make a payment is by Credit/Debit card or bank transfer.

How can I find out how much I owe?
Contact a member of the management team who will be able to advise you of payment amounts and dates due.


What if I don’t pay?
If you don’t pay your rent daily interest may be added to the amount you owe to us. Your guarantor will be contacted and will be asked to pay the amount that you owe. Host will commence legal proceedings against any resident who fails to pay the rent due. These proceeding will also include action against the resident’s guarantor.


Do I need to pay council tax?
Provided you are a student in full-time education you will be exempt from Council Tax.

Do I have to pay any Utility bills?
Our rents are inclusive of electricity consumption up to the value of £300 per room. Statements are issued monthly and should your share of the charges incurred by the flat exceed this allowance you will be required to make additional payments for the additional electricity consumed. No charge is made for water consumption or gas at Shand House.

Is there a charge for the internet?
A connection is provided to your room free of charge. Should you wish to upgrade to a faster connection or take advantage of the add-on features you will be required to make a payment for these.

Do I need a TV licence?
Host Cardiff does not supply a TV licence for the televisions. You should purchase one prior to connecting the TV as detailed in your tenancy agreement. Please contact TV Licensing for further details.

How do I make an insurance claim?
Basic insurance cover is provided for each resident. Details of your cover is provided within your welcome pack at arrival. Should you wish to make an insurance claim you will need to contact the insurance company directly. Contents insurance with Endsleigh.

Moving Out

What do I need to do before I move out?
Damage to the flat or missing items will be charged for in accordance with the publicised charges in reception. You must ensure that all outstanding invoices are settled prior to your departure. A final room and bedroom check will be completed at the end of your contract, you should arrange an appointment if you wish to be present when this takes place.

How do I return my keys?
During office hours, they should be returned to the management office. If you move out when the office is closed you should put your keys in an envelope with your name and room number clearly marked on it, and return them to the member of staff on duty or in the hospitality team post box by the office.

Will I get a deposit returned to me?
Host does not take deposits. All damages will be invoiced for after your departure.

Equality and Diversity

We do not treat any person or group of persons applying for accommodation less favourably because of their race, colour, ethnic or national origin, gender, disability, appearance, age, marital status, sexual orientation or social status.